Journal Article Critique Assignment Instructions
1. Choose 2 articles from professional journals of education (scholarly and/or peer-reviewed articles only). You must choose articles related to the language arts topic you selected from the course textbook. This topic must be clearly included in your title on the title page. Articles must be published within the last 5 years and must be more than 5 pages.
2. Your review must be written in your words and include 1–2 scholarly citations per paragraph in current APA format, except in the reflective section where none are included. Do not over quote from the article. Instead, summarize and paraphrase.
3. Write a separate critique for each journal article. However, the assignment will be submitted as 1 Microsoft Word document. The content of the paper, including 2 critiques, must be 4–5 pages. In addition to the content, make sure to include a title and reference page.
4. Organize and format each critique with the headings and subheadings outlined below. Do not write the questions. You must write your critiques with well-formed paragraphs that flow logically from one topic to the next.
5. Format the paper in current APA, with the exception of the reflection section, which may include first person (I, me, my, etc.)
6. Include a reference page formatted in the most current APA edition.
A. Briefly describe the topic of the journal article (hint: it is usually in the article’s title).
B. Identify the major and minor objectives of the article as well.
C. Identify and define the important concepts focused on by the author. Are the definitions clear, in your opinion?
A. Summarize the article’s content. In doing so, what is the author’s major argument?
B. What are the supporting arguments?
C. Are the ideas clearly presented?
A. What conclusions does the author(s) make?
A. In your opinion, does the data support the conclusions being made by the author?
B. In your opinion, are the results thought provoking?
C. In your opinion, what could be done to improve the research?
D. What was the most important thing you learned by reading and critiquing this article?
Be sure to review the criteria on the Journal Article Critique Grading Rubric before beginning this assignment.